Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lucky to even be here today

Oh good lord. Today was one of those days where I feel like everyone at the office should just shut up and be glad. I'm here at all. I know that's not going to be the case, but if they had to deal with what I do in the morning they may be a little less judgy (like I'm the first woman to ever get to work with her hair still wet....hell its not even my first time this year). My daughter had field day today, which meant a lot of extra morning preparations in order to get out the door and to school on time. Then when I got back from dropping her off I had to water part of the garden before leaving for work. It was all worth it though because here's what I got to see:
The Fairy Tale Egg Plants have flowered! 


The zucchinis are somehow still thriving (we have dealt with squash borers and disease)
^8 ball zucchinis 

We ate our first 8 ball zucchinis last night for dinner


The summer squash zucchinis were growing, and there were new ones this morning that needed some "sexy time" in order to ensure the next zukes would grow.


The tomatoes are still growing, and so far none of them have blossom end rot! Score! We litterally planted an entire bed of tomatoes: 
They are actually bigger than this now. Trying to find all the tomatoes in this box is like trying to find Rambo in the Vietnam jungle, you might get hurt trying. 
The melons (cantaloupes and watermelons) are grabbing onto their trellis! They too are flowering and we are so very excited.

The peppers are coming along nicely too 
(we have a box twice the size of the tomatoes full of a variety of peppers)


Having a garden is like having more children. It can make you feel proud, excited, disappointed, and (at times) worried. Like who is going to watch it for you (water it) while you are away for a few days. Or how can you safely protect it from nature's elements without resorting to chemical warfare? Its a challenge and a learning experience, but just like being a (real) parent, I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment